Tuesday, April 26, 2011

V = Vision Boards

Growing up I loved making collages on poster board, I didn’t realize at the time I was creating vision boards.

If you’re not familiar with the purpose of vision boards or how to make them, I found a great post on Christine Kane’s blog. She explained it best:

What: “A vision board (also called a Treasure Map or a Visual Explorer or Creativity Collage) is typically a poster board on which you paste or collage images that you’ve torn out from various magazines. It’s simple.”

Why: “The idea behind this is that when you surround yourself with images of who you want to become, what you want to have, where you want to live, or where you want to vacation, your life changes to match those images and those desires.”

I especially loved her article because she talked about the three different types of vision boards. She broke them down like this:

1)      The “I Know Exactly What I Want” Vision Board. On these boards you know exactly what you want. If you have a dream car you want to own, you’d paste a picture of that car on your board. Or if there is a place you’d like to vacation, you’d paste a picture of that destination on it.

2)      The “Opening and Allowing” Vision Board. On these boards you only have an idea of what you want. If you’ve live in the Midwest and had enough of the weather here, you might select pictures that include palm trees and beaches.

3)      The “Theme” Vision Board. On these boards you focus on one area of your life. If you want to get healthy, you might select a picture of someone doing yoga. Or if you’re looking to lose weight, a picture of an outfit you want to wear.

The key in all three is to pick the pictures and words that feel right to you.

To get details on visions boards, please visit Christine Kane’s article: How To Make A Vision Board.

7 comments:

  1. Your V post has come at the precise time!!!I need to surround myself with positive stuff and energy if i ever plan on making that desired move. I have awarded you the stylish blog award, please check it out on my blog post for today.:) :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Murugi A Njehia
    Her World

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally works! I use it for writing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one of these when I was a kid and totally forgot about it. You've prompted me to make another. Thanks.

    I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all need to have a vision of where we want to be, go or what we desire. I love vision boards! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a vision board last year when I was working on weight loss and exercise goals, and I was surprised how effective it was! They really help with motivation, no doubt.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vision boards are very helpful and used in psychology/counseling all the time. It is a good tool to help people find out not only how they see themselves but who they want to become. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vision board currently just has a list of everything I need to do on it, but I guess that's a start!!!

    ReplyDelete