Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

This week's Top Ten Tuesday theme is the books you had to buy, but haven't read yet. Instead they are just sitting on your shelf. I've got plenty of these so this list was easy. What wasn't easy, coming up with excuses for why I haven't read them yet.



Here is my list:

1) Life's That Way by Jim Beaver - This book chronicles the author's wife's battle with cancer. I wanted this book because I'm a fan of the author. He is an actor from my favorite TV show Supernatural.

2) Spook by Mary Roach - I loved the first book I read by this author, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. It had a lot of interesting facts and I suspect this one does too.

3) In The Woods by Tana French - A friend recommended this book so I jumped to get it. I think there a second book in the series now so I'm behind.

4) Conscious Dreaming by Robert Moss - I've read Dreaming True by this author and loved it. Enjoy dream analysis and thought this would be another great read.

5) Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair by Laurie Perry - Crazy Aunt Purl is a blog I enjoy reading. I couldn't pass up the book just based on the title alone.

6) Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell - Again read another book, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, from this author and loved it. Had to get this book when it came out. Now he has another book, Outliners: The Story of Success, which I have forbidden myself to buy until I read the Tipping Point.

7) It's Your Time by Joel Osteen - Apparently getting this book hasn't given me the time to read it yet.

8) Don't Give It Away by Iyanla Vanzant - This was an impulse buy while walking through the bookstore.

9) Practical Intuition by Laura Day - This was recommended by Oprah. Laura Day was on her show. Need I say more?

10) The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - This was listed as a recommended book.

Hopefully I'll get around to reading these, even if only a couple this year.

  

9 comments:

  1. Oh man, you need to read Spook. And you might as well buy Bonk and Packing for Mars, because you'll want to read them too. Roach is one of my favorite authors.

    I love compelling titles. Perry's book title alone makes me giggle, and I hope that the book would make me do so too. Nice list, good balance of fiction and non-fiction. My lists tend to lean toward fiction usually. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the books on your list but 'Conscious Dreaming' sounds really interesting. I wish I could remember my dreams. It's rare that I can!

    Thanks so much for participating in Top Ten Tuesday! I hope you'll join us again! :)

    Jen at The Broke and the Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    LOL @ the comment on #7!

    The only one on your list that I've read is The Fountainhead. It really hooked me in high school and it's still my favourite Rand novel because it's where her prose is at its sharpest, clearest and best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @coachpotatocritic - Thanks for stopping by to check out my list. Wow! I'm really behind on the Roach novels. I'll have to get going :)

    @Jen - Thanks for having such a fun meme. I look forward to participating in the future ones. Thanks for checking out my list. In the Dreaming True book I read, Robert Moss talks about how to start remembering your dreams. I'm not sure if Conscious Dreaming talks about it or not. I really need to start it. I dream an awful lot and could use some insight.

    @Enbrethiliel - Thanks for checking out my list! The person who recommended The Fountainhead said it was their favorite book. With your recommendation to add to it. I'll have to read that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Tipping Point - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alex - It definitely counts in the department of having good taste :) Thanks for checking out my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. +JMJ+

    I'll admit that my recommendation was very tactful. =P I really liked the novel when I first read it and still have good associations when I pick it up today, but Rand can come on very strongly while not really creating plausible characters, so I'm never sure if someone will enjoy her novels or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just going through my books today and wondering when I'd get a chance to read them now that I have a Kindle!

    I signed up for my first A-Z Blogging Challenge, #472, and saw your blog listed so I just stopped by to say "Hi". I look forward to reading your "alphabet" posts in April.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never believed in the power of rapid cognition till I read Blink. It was a pretty incredible book. I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged and I have Fountainhead queued up next.
    Great list, by the way!

    ReplyDelete